Thursday, September 11, 2008

Matt Brown the Police Minister quits over sex antics




The new NSW Police Minister, Matt Brown, has quit the state cabinet just three days after being promoted, as it emerged that he danced semi-naked and simulated a sex act with Wollongong MP Noreen Hay during a late-night party three months ago - a claim that Ms Hay has denied

It is understood the Premier, Nathan Rees, spoke to Mr Brown yesterday evening and warned him his actions were inappropriate. But it later emerged that Mr Brown had not given full details of the incident to the Premier and, once they became public, the minister tendered his resignation.

"Matt has tendered his resignation to the Premier tonight and the Premier has accepted his resignation over an incident he deeply regrets," a spokesman for Mr Brown said last night. "He apologises for any embarrassment he has caused the Government."

The incident is believed to have occurred at Parliament House on budget night when Mr Brown held the housing and tourism portfolios.

Mr Rees said former premier Morris Iemma had issued a "general warning" about inappropriate behaviour at a cabinet meeting soon after the party.

"I was aware there'd been a gathering in the former minister's office ... but this sort of sordid detail was certainly never ... spoken about by the former Premier," Mr Rees told 2UE.

Mr Rees said his reaction to the incident was "beyond anger, gross disappointment".

He refused to speculate who may have leaked the story, and rebuffed suggestions it could have been Frank Sartor, whom Mr Rees dumped from the cabinet.

"It would disappoint me, but I don't believe that's Frank Sartor's style. He's a more direct person than that."

Mr Rees said he was not aware of a meeting yesterday between Mr Sartor and News Ltd journalist Imre Salusinszky, who broke the story.

"It would disappoint me [if Mr Sartor had leaked the story], but I have got no idea what Frank was talking about to Imre [Salusinszky]."

Tony Kelly would be the new Police Minister, taking on the portfolio in addition to his existing responsibility for Industrial Relations, Emergency Services and Lands, Mr Rees said.

'Absolutely untrue'

Ms Hay denied Mr Brown had simulated a sex act upon her.

"That is absolutely untrue," she told the Herald last night. "Absolutely nothing untoward occurred and certainly when I was in that room with Matt Brown he was fully clothed."

She said Mr Brown was one of many dancing in the room. It was reported that Mr Brown also made a lewd remark to Ms Hay's adult daughter.

"I think someone is getting confused here," Ms Hay said. "Nobody would speak to my daughter, or any one of my children, like that in my presence."

She said she had no idea why Mr Brown quit. "I wasn't in the room all the time but while I was there I can assure that suggestions made about me and my daughter are completely untrue. I don't know why Matt has resigned; I'm saddened by that so soon after being appointed."

Allegations are 'dirty politics'

Ms Hay this morning labelled the allegations "dirty politics", saying the timing was suspicious just days after Mr Brown was appointed Police Minister.

"Someone is obviously disgruntled about that, because they are talking about a gathering that took place three months ago," she told ABC Radio.

"I think someone has waited three months to take some political licence with this."

Ms Hay again disputed reports of a "drunken night", or that Mr Brown had simulated a sex act upon her.

"There were a number of young women in that room ... it's ridiculous ... I had a dance with Matt Brown, that's true, you know, and there was laughter going on and jokes happening."

She said she had been "in and out" of the room a number of times during the party.

"You'd have to ask Matt what happened when I wasn't in the room."

Ms Hay told Fairfax Radio Network she did not know who supplied the information but said she found the story bizarre.

"I would have found it quite bizarre because ... I don't want to do myself any disservice here, but there are a number of very attractive young women in that Parliament and to suggest that Matt Brown would do something like that particularly with me is ridiculous," she said.

"I think that someone is drawing a long bow. It's not unusual for people to point to me for things, I mean that just seems to be part and parcel of my political life."

Mr Brown is estranged from his partner, with whom he has a son.

0 comments:

Latest Posts

Latest Comments